Ever wondered how to generate revenue from your site?
Want to reward yourself for all of the time and effort you put into your blog?
It’s easy to do both just by joining the Amazon Affiliate Program. As a member, you will earn a commission if a visitor to your site clicks on an Amazon affiliate link and subsequently makes a purchase. The program is free to join and easy to use.
Joining the Amazon Affiliate Program
Let’s walk through the sign up process for becoming an Amazon.com affiliate.
It’s important to note that even if you don’t live within the US, you can still join this program. However, residents of Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, North Carolina, Rhode Island or Connecticut are ineligible to join.
- To become an Amazon.com Associate, start by visiting their signup page. Click on the yellow Join Now for Free button in the top-right corner:
- On the next page, enter your email address into the text box. Select I am a new customer (assuming you don’t already have an Amazon account) and then click on the Sign in using our secure server button:
- On the Registration screen, fill out your name, email address and choose a password. Click the Create account button:
- Next, fill out the name and address of the person who will receive Amazon payments. Once complete, click the Next: Your Website Profile button:
- On the Your Website Profile page, fill out the specific details of your site. When you are done, click the Next button:
- On the Your Identity Verification screen, enter your telephone number and click the Call me now button:
- Two things will happen simultaneously – you will see a PIN appear on-screen, and you will receive an automated call from Amazon. Enter the PIN using the keypad of your phone when prompted:
- After you successfully enter your PIN, you will see a confirmation message. Ensure that you have agreed to the terms and conditions, then click on Finish:
- Your unique Associates ID will be displayed on the following page:
- Check your email for a message from Amazon.com Associates Central.
Congratulations! You are now an Amazon Associate!
What About Amazon Affiliate Programs in Other Countries?
Keep in mind that your Associates ID will only earn you referrals from sales that are in the same locale as your Associates ID. For example, while you will earn a commission from users who buy from Amazon.com using your Amazon.com Associates ID, you will not receive a commission from users who buy from Amazon.co.uk using the same Associates ID. That’s because Amazon UK has their own affiliate program.
To get around this restriction and not miss out on revenue from purchases made in other countries, you can sign up to become an Amazon Associate in each locale. As of the time of this writing, there are Amazon affiliate programs in the following regions: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, UK and US.
It can be tricky to sign up for each of these programs since the sites are in different languages. You may find it helpful to use a tool like Google Translate to translate each one. If you use Google Chrome as your browser, it’s even easier since Chrome will automatically offer to translate pages. In general though, the sign up process should be similar to the one used in the Amazon.com affiliate program.