In order for the details of a book to be auto-populated, you must create a Google API key and enter it into the Advanced tab of the Book Review Settings. You will need a Google email address for this, so be sure to sign up if you don’t already have one.
If you get stuck, leave us a message in the Book Review Support forum and we’ll be happy to help you out.
Getting a Google API Key
- To obtain a Google API key, click here to go to the Google Developers console. If you are not already signed in with a Google account, you will be prompted to do so before being redirected to the console.
- If you have never used the Google Developers Console before, you will be asked to accept the terms of service. After reviewing the terms, select Yes and then click on the Agree and continue button. You may proceed directly to Step 4.
- If you are a returning user who has created at least one other project, you will be presented with a screen asking you to either create a new project or select an existing project. This project will have the Books API enabled by default. If you are familiar with the Google Developers Console, you may wish to choose an existing project. Otherwise, just click on Continue to create a new project:
- A confirmation screen will appear to verify that a project called “My Project” was created and that the Google Books API was enabled. From there, click the Go to credentials button:
- On the Credentials screen, click the API key link. Don’t worry about filling out the rest of the form:
- In the box that appears, click on Server key:
- It’s not necessary to change any of the default information that appears on the next screen. You can just go ahead and click the Create button to generate a server API key:
- A dialog box will appear that displays your API key. Copy it to your clipboard by highlighting the text and pressing Ctrl+C (Windows) or Cmd+C (Mac):
- Go to your WordPress admin and paste your API key into the Google API Key field of the Book Review Settings by pressing Ctrl+V (Windows) or Cmd+V (Mac). Don’t forget to select your country and to click the Save Changes button:
- Wait 5 minutes for the changes to propagate, and then go ahead and enter an ISBN number in the Book Info box of a post. Click the Get Book Info button and the book details will be filled in automatically:
Now go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!